Birth photography is still a young field of photography. Thankfully, it is picking up momentum and people are becoming more aware of what it is. Even large media outlets, such as the Today Show and the Huffington Post, are helping to bring birth images front and center to the masses that normally would not be exposed to it.
If you are here, you probably already know that birth photography is more than just the crowning image, it is a story. That is why I have always referred to my birth photography packages as BIRTH STORIES. We, as Professional Birth Photographers, are primarily mothers ourselves so we understand how personal birth can be and we carry that experience with us as we document birth stories as they unfold. So, not unlike selecting a compatible OB/midwife and doula, I understand how important it is to choose a Professional Birth Photographer that you can trust into your sacred birth space.
Over the years I have compiled a list of reasons to hire a Professional Birth Photographer for your special event.
10 reasons to hire a Professional Birth Photographer
1. Your partner and birth team are free to focus entire on you without the additional task of capturing photographs, especially during the moment of birth. I float around your birth space, moving seamlessly around your birth team. I know when to move and I know when to step out.
2. You and your partner/ support people will be in the photographs.
3. Your photographs will be in focus. They will be taken by a professional who is skilled and experienced with photographing high action and in low light. Who else would you choose to preserve the fleeting first moments after the birth of your new baby means but a Professional Birth Photographer with the tools and experience to do so?
4. This event is one of the most monumental of your life that you can have photographed. Becoming a parent, whether it is for the first or fifth time, is a life-changing event. People spend money to have their wedding photographed, why shouldn't this occasion deserve similar attention?
5. Memory fades. These images will keep the important moments fresh and allow you to see the timeline of your birth.
6. It saves time. You can focus on your baby and leave all the photographing, culling through images, and editing to a professional. I will even print them for you and make a book to tell your birth story so you can spend more time connecting with your new family member.
7. Perspective. Birthing mothers often focus inwardly. Birth photography allows you to see the birth as a whole and from a different perspective.
8. Babies grow fast. All those tiny features that make a newborn a newborn are gone in a blink of an eye. They look different after a week, even a day!
9. Birth Photographers document stories. Not just a few snapshots. It is not just my job to tell your story, it is my passion and an artwork I have dedicated myself to.
10. Birth Photographers can capture parts of the story you never see. Family waiting just outside the door, a sibling's first response, a mother's reaction.
And a bonus one: Healing. Traumatic births can break a parent both physically and mentally. Birth photography can help process the events and start the healing process.
Share this with anyone hesitant about birth photography! Or better yet, share it with someone here on the Treasure Coast looking to have their birth documented.